On July 1, 2003, one year after funding from the State of Florida, the new Visitor Center (pictured at right) opened to the public. A Special Category grant in the amount of $247,852 provided much of the funding for this significant project.
Designed in the Second Spanish Period to complement the historic house, the new handicapped-accessible facility is home to the rare c. 1650 Caravaca Cross discovered on the property in July 2002 during an archaeological investigation.
The Visitors Center includes an exhibition room with a wide array of educational and interpretive experiences. A computer touch screen interactive program and a DVD video presentation operate in tandem with text panels to provide entertaining and informative history about the Ximenez-Fatio House and St. Augustine History.
The upper floor of the building houses staff offices, and a research and work room for museum projects. Sensitive collection materials are conserved in climate controlled space.